Genocide on Repeat?

Even though I am still on "summer break," on Monday I attended a fabulous workshop on the Armenian Genocide, Holocaust, & Comparative Genocide at the University of Hartford.

Dr. Mari Firkatian, Professor of History at UHART shared her personal family's experience in the Armenian Genocide and examined how it is a "classic case study of how the crime of genocide can be committed and repeated." I was moved by her strength and dedication to educating the community about this act of barbarity that has been referred to as the "Forgotten Genocide."

Even though there were 1.5 million people killed and it is considered the first genocide of the 20th century, the Armenian Genocide of 1915-1923 is not recognized by the Turkish government. In fact, it is against the law to even suggest that it occurred and if you do, you will be charged with offending Turkish culture and locked up. WHAT?!? Despite the photos, archives (of which the Turkish government will not release), and numerous testimonies of survivors the denial of this atrocity persists.

Doesn't this sound familiar???

It wasn't until Raphael Lemkin coined the term genocide in 1943, that a name was given to this type of abomination. And yet, designating a label didn't stop it. Since the Holocaust, there have been dozens of genocides to occur despite the movement to #never again.

So, if history keeps repeating itself how am I suppose to impress upon my students that studying the Holocaust and genocide is worth learning and indeed necessary?

I press on because I have great expectations for our youth. I choose to believe that my students will be the agents of change that our global society desperately needs. I can not give up on fostering empathy and confronting indifference even if "Bobby" acts like he doesn't care or "Mary" seems as if she isn't listening. I am committed to creating a classroom where civil discourse about the tough topics occur. I will always speak out against discrimination and injustice and educate my students on how to identify them. Avon History Teacher and workshop leader, Stu Abrams, said that "we must develop emotional literacy in our students."

Wow. I love that. Emotional literacy. With all the focus on digital, math, and writing literacy somehow we have forgotten the importance of fostering the emotional growth of our students.

If I can help my students to recognize "othering" and identify when manipulation and dehumanization occurs, perhaps they will resist and choose not to be bystanders. They will help those in need and volunteer/work at or create organizations that desire to make a difference in people's lives. Just like the efforts of the Joint Distribution Committee (JDC) which provided humanitarian aid and resources to communities in need after destruction, and this year celebrates its 100th anniversary. The Museum of Jewish Civilization will have an exhibit opening and lecture on September 16, 7pm. I really encourage you to attend. After the workshop, Director of the HERO Center at UHART Kimberly Ballaro, gave us a tour of the exhibit and it was fascinating.

A final thought that Stu expressed that greatly encouraged me is that, "we are all heroes in waiting." I never saw myself as a hero, but as I gear up for the new school year, I pray for the strength, wisdom, and grace to teach courageously and boldly. I want my classroom to be that safe space where students transform into compassionate and informed global citizens...and heroes for the world we live in.


Comments

Popular Posts